The glass cookware comes with an attractive appearance which makes them capable to increase the beauty of your kitchen. The functionality, safety, and versatility of glass make it the queen of any household kitchens. Glass cookware items are non-reactive, non-porous, and can offer superior baking results. However, this kind of cookware has some downsides also. In this post, I will share everything that you need to know about glass cookware. Read on to know everything in details.
Table Of Contents
- 1 How to Choose Glass Cookware
- 2 Best of Glass Cookware
How to Choose Glass Cookware
There are some important factors that should be considered while buying cookware for your kitchen. Check these factors right below to know more.
While choosing your cookware, you should select the one that is safe for human as well as for the environment. Unlike metal such as aluminium or copper, glass cookware is safe and eco-friendly. It is non-reactive to acidic foods and doesn’t leach any harmful chemical into foods. However, if you’re concern about your health, it’s best to pick a non-reactive cookware set such as glass ones.
When it comes to price, most shoppers are drawn to products that are readily affordable. However, sometimes a cheap product doesn’t translate to a best-buy. Remember, premier products come with a premier price tag. So you should consider the price while you’re going to buy a high-quality cookware set.
- Ease of Care and Maintenance
Another important thing that needs to be considered while buying cookware is the cleaning and maintenance process. Glass cookware products are relatively easy to clean, most of them are dishwasher safe. This kind of cookware comes with a natural non-stick coating that doesn’t require seasoning or any other coating. However, they tend to break easily so you should be careful while handling your glass products.
- Your Cooking Style
Which foods do you love to cook most? Your cooking style should be your big concern when purchasing your cookware. If you love to made baking or casserole items, glass cookware will be a perfect choice for your daily cooking. This type of cookware is an excellent option for casseroles, cakes, pies, and other braised meats.
Pros of Glass Cookware
- Glass cookware allows to see through the pot and monitor your food without removing the lids.
- Some of the glass cookware is made to handle stovetops.
- One of the key advantages of this cookware is it responds well for most oven based cooking.
- This kind of cookware doesn’t react with acidic foods and most importantly it’s healthy as there’re no adverse side effects from cooking in it.
- It does not absorb food flavours or odours.
- It can be used to warm leftovers in the oven as well as to store foods in the refrigerators.
- Glass cookware items are relatively durable and retain heat for a longer duration.
- It is safe to clean the glass cookware with a dishwasher.
Cons of Glass Cookware
- The major downside of the glass cookware is that it breaks easily. If dropped, glass cookware can shatter, and sudden temperature changes can cause them to crack.
- While broken glass increases the risk of someone getting hurt, glass cookware isn’t the best option in an accident-prone environment.
- This kind of cookware cannot be used under the broiler.
- Most of the glass cookware is not safe to use on the stovetop burners.
- It has lower thermal conductivity and takes a little longer to heat.
- Some sorts of glass cookware are difficult to clean when food sticks to it.
Best of Glass Cookware
There is a shortlist of some of the best glass cookware with details. Check it out to get more.
Anchor Hocking Oven Basics 15-Piece Glass Bakeware Set
This bakeware set is tempered for maximum durability and features an industry-leading 5 years warranty. Anchor Glass is a healthier choice when compared to metal bakeware. It doesn’t wrap stain, retain smells or leach chemicals into food. This cookware set is safe for microwave, pre-heated oven, refrigerator, freezer, and also for the dishwasher.
The set contains
- A 2-quart bake dish
- A 1.5-quart casserole with a glass cover
- A 1.5-quart loaf dish
- A 1-quart mixing bowl
- A 9-inch pie dish
- An 8-ounce measuring cup and
- Four 6-ounce custard cups with lids
Libbey Baker’s Basics Covered Casserole 6-Piece Set
This 6-piece glassware set is one of the best-selling sets in the market. All the items of this set can be stored in the fridge and freezer with the lids without any problem. These items can be put in the oven and also safe for the dishwasher cleaning. These items are the best for roasting and baking in glass bakeware set. In the oven, you can see all sides when baking with this glassware set. Moreover, you can use them in the microwave also.
The set includes
- 1-quart glass casserole with lid
- 2-quart glass casserole with lid and
- 2-quart glass casserole with lid.
Note: never use this glass bakeware set under the broiler or on the cook stovetop. They will crack and break due to the extreme temperature.
Pyrex EasyGrab 5-Piece Glass Bakeware Set
The Pyrex EasyGrab glass bakeware set is made out of heat-strengthened (tempered) soda-lime glass for about 60 years. These items with their plastic lids are dishwasher safe. However, you cannot cook or bake with the lids on since they are plastic and will melt. This bakeware set is suitable for versatile use. You can put these items in the microwave, refrigerators, and the preheated oven as well.
- A 3-quart oblong baking dish with blue plastic lid
- A 2-quart oblong dish
- 2 each 8-inch square baking dishes and
- A 1-1/2-quart loaf baking dish.
Visions 4-piece Cookware Set
This 4-piece set is made of a non-porous glass-ceramic material which won’t react with any kind of acidic foods. Each of these items is designed with a handle on either side that makes it easy to lift and hold. All of the pieces of this set are safe for use in the refrigerator, cabinet or freezer.
The set provides
- 2 and 1/2L round stew pot with glass a cover and
- 1 and 1/2L saucepan with a glass cover
Since the material of this cookware is non-porous, your cooked foods’ flavour will not be absorbed by the cookware after use. In addition, this dishwasher safe glass cookware set is ideal for water-based cooking.
Baking in Glass Vs Metal
Unlike glass, metal bakeware can withstand higher temperatures which makes it ideal for foods that bake for a short period of time at a higher temperature. This feature makes it perfect for using when making baked goods such as biscuits, cookies, cakes, muffins, and bread. Since metal bakeware tends to heat up quickly and cool down relatively fast it’s preferable for browning foods and quick roasting
Glass bakeware distributes heat more evenly which will cause your food to likely cook at an even rate. It is perfect to use glass bakeware when baking with eggs or acidic ingredients. Unlike metal, glass bakeware doesn’t react with the acidity and won’t discolour or leave a metallic taste to the food.
Glass Vs Metal Pan
Glass pan doesn’t conduct heat well, but it does distribute heat quickly. Generally, it will take a long time for your glass pan to heat up, but once it does, it’ll stay warm for a long time. This kind of cookware is perfect for travel, potlucks, and long family dinners.
Metal pan, on the other hand, is a great heat conductor and will warm up super quickly. The drawback to this power is that it will lose that heat pretty quickly. Make sure to avoid using fruits or other acidic foods with a metal pan. Acidic ingredients will react to the metal pan and everything will turn grey and unappetizing.
Glass cookware or bakeware is very safe to use for your everyday cooking with a little care. However, it is always best to read the manufacturer’s manual comes with the product you bought. There is a lot of effective information on how to take care of your loveable cookware items.